- 1942-1952(?): Kleagle and Exalted Cyclops of the Ku Klux Klan
- 1944: wrote a letter to then-Sen. Theodore Bilbo (D-MS) stating the following: "I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side ... Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds."
- Consistently pro-abortion voting record
- Voted to expand human embryonic research; voted no on a ban of human cloning
- 2001: in an interview with Tony Snow used the term "white niggers"
- More buildings, roads, and public works facilities in WVa named for him than any other personage
- Longest serving member of Congress in US History
And now, the quiz question:
Who made the following statement on hearing of the death of Sen. Byrd?
Today our nation marks the passing of a great statesman and public servant, Senator Robert C. Byrd. While we will prayerfully reflect on his decades of scholarship, hard work, and dedication to the people of West Virginia, we must also celebrate the future that Senator Byrd helped shape....we pray during this difficult time that family and loved ones will remember that Senator Byrd is now at peace with the Risen Lord and, with his late wife Erma Ora Byrd, is experiencing Perfect Joy.
A. The Catholic Bishop of Wheeling-Charleston, WVa
B. Sen. Byrd's Baptist Pastor
C. Rev. Al Sharpton
D. Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA)
Yep...you guessed it.