< link rel="DCTERMS.replaces" href="http://fumare.us/" > < meta name="DC.identifier" content="http://fumare.blogspot.com" > <!-- --><style type="text/css">@import url(https://www.blogger.com/static/v1/v-css/navbar/3334278262-classic.css); div.b-mobile {display:none;} </style> </head> <body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d12407651\x26blogName\x3dFUMARE\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://fumare.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://fumare.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d6298351012122011485', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>


Law, culture, and Catholicism...up in smoke!

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Tell me what I want to hear.

With much interest, I have been following the brouhaha surrounding Ave Maria School of Law's possible move to Florida, sometimes noted here and here. Amidst a veritable hurricane of activity, the school has commissioned a second feasibility study (the first having been undertaken sometime in 2003). The purpose of the study, as can be guessed from its description, is to determine whether it is feasible to move the school to Naples, Florida.

Putting aside the obvious question about a need for another study, this course of action leaves me somewhat perplexed. Should it not first be determined, in some form, whether it is in the school's best interest to move at all? I understand that the feasibility study can help determine if it is in the best interest of the school to move--I don't need a J.D. to know that what is not feasible is not in one's best interest. Nevertheless, feasibility studies are not cheap. Commissioning an expensive feasibility study before deciding whether it is even a good idea, at least generally, is putting the cart for before the horse.

Or perhaps it is a foregone conclusion? See Dean's response to third question, keeping in mind that the feasibility study will be completed in August.